<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 15, 2005

Monday, passionate Monday. 

Everyone else has linked to L'il Rivkah, so I guess I should, too. The best adverserial response I've seen was on a comment thread on Chris Butcher's blog. It came from the always quotable Abhay Khosla , and I hope he won't be too pissed that I'm reprinting it here:

I do think she has a point, though. It's easy to fall into a rut, and when an artist lets that happen, he betrays the muse and she withdraws her favors. I've seen it happen to too many talented creators. You've got to keep learning. If you're green you're growing. If you're ripe you rot.

Speaking of passion, Paul O'Brien doesn't think there's much to be passionate about in the genre he follows. This has prompted passionate debate over at Fanboy Rampage. Lest anyone doubt Paul's ability to appreciate non-spandex work, (or my own ability to turn anything into self-promotion) one can read Paul's thoughtful criticism of an indy comic here.

There's a new Peter Bagge strip at Reason. For the past few years I've enjoyed Bagge's political strips a lot more than his character stories, and -I swear I'm not just saying this to fit the theme- I think it's because he's a lot more passionate about his politics.

Mike Oeming asked for a definition of "hack" and his posters brought their opinions to the table. Here's what I had to say:



I should add that a creator's "hack" work could even be better than their most sincere efforts. Every artist has looked at the work of someone who needs to learn when to stop. "God, If someone could just STOP him from doing that last hour of "perfecting" his work would be a lot better."

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker